Find out what it’s like to be inside a teepee, igloo or ice cave! Your guides will share their stories and you may leave this northern getaway with a story of your own.
November - March
Yellowknife Winter Cultural Tour Itinerary
The Chateau Nova Yellowknife is a brand new, full service, conference hotel with great amenities from our fitness centre, steam room and sauna to our Quarry Restaurant and Lounge. We are conveniently located in the Northeast area of downtown, approximately 5km from the Airport with easy access to the Ingraham Trail and Yellowknife Highways. Once here, enjoy the welcoming atmosphere, great amenities and warm customer service. Our hotel has everything that you will need to make your stay in Yellowknife comfortable and relaxing. Enjoy Northern hospitality at its finest.Website: www.NovaHotels.ca/chateau-nova-yellowknife/
Aurora Tours is a local Aboriginal tour company focused on bringing fun and excitement into their cultural tour packages. Create unforgettable memories, authentic and educational experiences and bring home your own souvenir.
- Traditional trap demonstration with a fur display & an interactive photoshoot
- Snowshoeing on the Great Slave Lake (winter)
- Learn how to build a fire inside a teepee and roast marshmallows
- Create your own mini drum to take home with you
- Tea and bannock
- Aboriginal games including leg wrestling, pole push and wood sawing
- Sliding into camp on Great Slave Lake (winter)
Northern and Remote Wilderness Adventures Ltd. (NARWAL) is a small, friendly, majority Aboriginal owned and operated family business located in historic old town Yellowknife, on the scenic shores of Back Bay. Enjoy a guided walk on scenic Great Slave Lake to the intriguing Ice Caves. Learn to build an Inuit snow house (igloo) with the guidance of our skilled instructors, who will also share stories about Inuit culture and traditionsWebsite: www.Narwal.ca
Authentic Indigenous Experiences
Authentic indigenous experiences are delivered by indigenous tourism businesses located from across Canada and many are members of the Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada (ITAC).
Indigenous Tourism can be defined as all tourism businesses majority owned, operated and/or controlled by First Nations, Metis, or Inuit Peoples that can demonstrate a connection and responsibility to the local indigenous community and traditional territory where the operation resides.x
This package includes experiences with the following authentic Indigenous tourism businesses:
- AuroraTours.net, owned by the Erasmus Family (Metis)
- Narwal, owned by the Alloloo Family (Inuit)
- 3 nights moderate accommodations
- Hands on experience building an igloo
- Guided cultural tours
- Comprehensive documentation package
* Package price is the suggested starting price per person based on a double occupancy and does not include taxes.
** Flight option not included in package price. Transportation may vary to customer request and availability.
Yellowknife Winter Cultural Tour Image Gallery
Ice Cave Adventure with NARWAL Northern Adventures
Chateau Nova Yellowknife
Aboriginal Cultural Tour with Aurora Tours